Friday, October 20, 2006

The Bad Lung pt 2

Wednesday I had an appointment with Dr Hebeler, a thoracic (chest) surgeon, about doing a second biopsy on the cavity mass in my right lung. He's probably one of the best doctors I've visited with recently. He brought in visual aides (my last CT scan), was familiar with my case, answered my questions in a language I understood and had a good sense of humor (hey, anything helps).

My cavity mass is actually bigger than I thought --- it's about the size of a ping-pong ball! Size is relative, obviously, but when a doctor tells you that the mass in your lung is small you think pea- or marble-sized. Ping-pong is big, I don't care that they've seen bigger. And Dr Hebeler is going to take the whole thing out on Monday. He'll make an incision in my lung, stick a camera inside to place the mass then cut away. He compared the lung to a loaf of bread and he's going to take a slice! He says I'll never miss it! Yeah, okay ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home