Monday, January 29, 2007

Soapbox

Now is the time of year I get on my soapbox and extol the virtues of healthy eating (though I haven't done any research into it, I believe eating organics and avoiding processed foods can help to prevent a lot of diseases - including cancer). Last year I shared the findings of Consumer Reports' organic investigation with you (check out the archives for January if you're interested). This year yesterday's The New York Times Magazine has an interesting article on the nutritional value of food (which I think fits in nicely with the organic movement). The author, Michael Pollan, essentially recommends avoiding processed foods or, as he puts it, Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. The article goes on to discuss the rise of nutritionism or, how we've grown to look at foods more for their specific nutritional content than their taste and their whole nutritional value.

This idea of eating unprocessed food has been around and growing for awhile. I remember reading the Dallas Observer several years ago about a balding man who had been diagnosed with diabetes. He was in his early forties, not overweight and exercised and had no other symptoms of the disease. After doing his own research he decided to not eat any processed foods. His health returned to normal after awhile and the hair on his head started growing back! His doctors bought into everything but his baldness cure!

Anyway, in case you're curious, it's snowing. This is only the third time since I've been here it's snowed. I actually think the weather has been worse in Dallas than it has in Omaha! So, there!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tres, you are right on with the non-processed food! Our, who is also a lymphoma survivor, swears by natural or organic foods. I'm so glad you are doing well and as always we are thinking of you!

Love Amanda

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tres - Another 'blast from your past'! I have made sure that we have been updated about you on a daily basis from my mother (you know her as 'Little Marsha'). Anyway, our thoughts and prayers are with you always and I am delighted to see you are receiving such good news this month. As I am sure my mother has told Sally Ann, my sister-in-law on my husband's side was also misdiagnosed at first. After she went through just about everything you are going through, she went to Dallas to Baylor, got the treatment she needed, and I am thrilled to say here we are, two years later after Baylor, and she is doing great! I am 100% sure that we are soon going to be saying the same thing about you! Keep posting pics on the computer of your winning smile and always stay optimistic! Love to your family and especially to you and talk soon. Smiles!!

Love,
Bonney McEldowney Mulloy (Craig, Cody and Kyle)

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I have to give up my beer??? I hope not dammit! :)

It's awesome to keep hearing about your progress Tres!! Keep up the fight bud!!

woof!
Mark

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home