Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Half-time

Ironic that I, of all people, should use a baseball (I know, I know ---- I'm kidding) football analogy as the title of this post. Hopefully this is the mid-way point in my stay here. Now I have a plan.

The past week has been a surprisingly rocky one. The pain I had in my joints on Thursday increased on Friday. The pain woke me up during the night, made it difficult for me to sleep and threw the progress I've made in my walking back a month. After a visit to the PA it was determined that the likely culprit was steroid withdrawal (I stopped steroids on Wednesday) and she put me on Oxycodone (a pain killer). The pain was gone by Sunday. Funny thing about these steroids, I never felt the affects of them until after I finished taking them (and, no, I'm still no Schwarzenegger). Saturday my friends James and Amanada and their precious son Charles arrived with the snow. When we weren't visiting I was sleeping --- I haven't slept so much in a long time. Well, Monday when I went in for routine blood work my counts were low. Very low. When the nurse got the results she was surprised I came in walking and talking. So, I spent the rest of Monday and all of Tuesday getting transfusions - four pints of red blood (each pint takes about two hours) and two pints of platelets (they can run those a little faster - so it only takes an hour a pint). Then Dr Vose, concerned about my low counts, ordered a bone-marrow biopsy and a CT scan since she wasn't sure what caused this drop. Have you ever had a bone-marrow biopsy? Trust me you don't want one --- they're two minutes of pure pain.

Friday we found out that Martita was not a match. She only had a 25% chance of being one. Interesting facts: pregnant women aren't good donors because they're carrying around the stem-cells of two people. Generally, if both a brother and a sister match the doctor will choose the brother(who has a better likelihood of matching)! Anyway, not a concern --- we go back to using mine. I start growth hormone shots (and probably joint pain and Oxycodone) tomorrow, Friday I'll have a new port installed (I sound like a car) then Monday I'll start collecting stem-cells. After that I'll get an infusion of Bexxar, a radiated medication, then start the stem-cell transplant. Should be fun but I'm on my way and the end is in sight!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Oxycodone (aka Vicodin)...thats some good stuff!! Hopefully its doing its job there Tres!!

Great news on the other fronts!!! It sounds like that light at the end of the tunnel is gettin closer and you'll be able to come home!! We'll have to have a HUGE celebration when you do!! I'd definitely fly down for that one!! :)

Keep fighting the good fight Tres!!

woof!
Mark

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a 'home run' to me.

michelle

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love having a plan...it makes all the crap more bearable and seem to go by faster. I am sending you hope and encouragement like I felt from you when I needed it! Keep your head in the game and go for the touchdown! :} LA

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baseball analogies and (obvious) roid rage?! What the hell are they doing to you up there? I'm worried you are going to come back a straight man! When can you come home? xxoo Ann

2:37 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Tres, I simply adore it when you do "sports" talk. It's so beautiful, much like the euphony of a lovely, melodic romance language.

And I understand it about as well.

But whatever language you care to use, keep up the good news. It's very welcome!

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go, Tres, Go!

Give them some industrial-strength stem cells. Rest up and stay comfortable. I'm thinking about you and sending good vibes. Just receive the well-wishing from all of us for a while, and see if it doesn't put a little pep in your step! We've got your back!

Much Love,
Mary

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sports talk???!! SPORTS TALK??!! You know I love it when you talk dirty! :) Well, look, my prayers are being answered. I knew all that clean living I do was good for something. I know there's still a ways to go, but I'm encouraged. This blog made my day.

When you go home to Dallas, I'm gonna come there, too. I hope that city is ready for us.

By the way, why do these people think it's your birthday?

Kisses!

Wade

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home